ANNOUONCEMENTS


Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Skowhegan Standouts Hoping to Finish High School Careers on Top


By Pat McDonald

The Skowhegan wrestling program has been one of the best in the state over the past few seasons. Former four-time state champion Cody Craig was a driving force behind the Indians’ recent mat dominance, but current seniors Samson Sirois and Ricky Oberg have also been key to Skowhegan’s success.

Sirois is back for another year on the mat after capturing a state title last year, and the standout has his sights set on a bigger prize in 2018. 

“I want to get top three at New Englands, that’s my big goal,” Sirois said. 

Oberg came up just short of a state title last year and is looking to close his career on top. 

“My real goal is to just come through win states ... go through and win all the other tournaments like I did last year,” said Oberg, who finished second to Marshwood’s Matt Thompson in 2017.

Both Oberg and Sirois believe their time working with Craig has helped them become better wrestlers and two of the top grapplers in the state. 

“My freshman and sophomore year I worked with him a lot because I was near his weight ... him and I were practice partners and he killed me — and showed me stuff,” Sirois said of Craig.

 “I think it really helped me almost every practice because I just got one-on-one time with him, he just beat the crap out of me and I just started to learn from it,” Oberg added. 

Oberg got to spend some time with Craig this past summer before the former Skowhegan star took off for the Hill School in Pennsylvania.

 “I got some one-on-one time with Cody Craig before he left, and Noah Dumas from Cony, and Cody’s younger brother (freshman Jake Craig) so that really helped me a lot,” said Oberg of his off-season workouts.

Oberg believes the younger Craig could pick up where his brother left off. 

“I think he could win states. I don’t know from the South who’s going to challenge him,” Oberg said of Jake Craig.

The Skowhegan standouts also give a ton of credit to head coach Brooks Thompson for their success on the mat.

 “It’s been really good. He pushes us really hard. He has a motto ‘if you’re going to be here in practice, you might as well do it,’" said Oberg, who believes the program has reached a new level in recent seasons.

 “It’s definitely stepped up. Before we never won a state title, never really got close ... and then we (won) it a few years ago and we have been a force ever since.”

Another wrestler who has helped the Indians get to this point has been Messalonskee standout Austin Pelletier, who practices with Skowhegan. 

“That was definitely huge,” said Oberg of Pelletier’s contributions in the room. “He came in the year we won states, and he’s just been one of the kids in the room that helps lead practice and he’s one of the kids that people look up to.”

Both Oberg and Sirois are hoping to make some more memories on the mat before their time at Skowhegan comes to an end.

 “Hopefully a state title. Hopefully my third regional title ... you know, some good stuff — possibly New Englands,” said Oberg, who might look to compete with the University of Maine’s club team next year.

For Sirois, this year will be the last time he competes in a “serious” way on the mat.

“I might go to practice here and there to help out. I will still compete in open divisions with my brother because he will drag me out there, but I won’t do anything serious,” said Sirois on the possibility of competing at the next level.

With time winding down on his competitive wrestling career, Sirois has some big-time goals he is trying to chase down.

 “Two hundred wins, 100 pins and a crack at New Englands — that’s what I want,” said Sirois, who already had a state title, two second-place finishes and a fourth-place medal from New Englands on his resume.

After seeing Cody Craig and former Marshwood standout Brad Beaulieu win New England titles last March, Sirois is even more confident that he can bring home a gold medal from Providence in a couple months. 

“I know I can win it. I just need to be on my A game,” said Sirois.

— Pat McDonald is the Sports Editor of the Journal Tribune in Biddeford. He can be reached at pmcdonald@journaltribune.com.

Pictured: Ricky Oberg (Photo Credit Jason Gendron)
Pictured: Samson Sirois (Photo Credit Jason Gendron)