ANNOUONCEMENTS


Friday, February 8, 2008

No matter the weight class, he hands out a pounding

PAUL BETIT 

— By

click image to enlarge
Derek Davis/Staff Photographer: Logan Russell, a senior on the Morse wrestling team, practices on Monday, Feb. 4, 2007 at the high school.

click image to enlarge
Derek Davis/Staff Photographer: Logan Russell of Morse High School wrestling team, Monday, Feb. 4, 2007.
Staff Writer
BATH: In wrestling, weight class doesn't matter.
Just ask Logan Russell.
During his four seasons wrestling for Morse High, Russell has compiled a remarkable record while competing in four weight classes,
''I was really tiny my freshman year,'' Russell said. ''I was always smaller than everybody, and my mom said you're going to get bigger and bigger. So I just ate and worked out.''
But Russell, who has grown nearly 10 inches since entering high school, didn't have one big growth spurt.
Instead he grew by leaps and bounds. As a result he's had to move up in weight each season and learn to wrestle against new opponents.
''He's jumped up two weight classes every year and that's very difficult to do,'' Morse Coach Shawn Guest said. ''He just has the mental attitude he's going to get out there on the mat. He thinks he's prepared and he's ready to go.''
When he was a freshman, Russell weighed 107 pounds and competed in the 112-pound class.
''He showed up and started pounding kids,'' Guest said. ''He was 31-7 in his freshman year. He placed fourth in the state, and he just went on and on and on.''
This season, Russell, who stands about 5-foot-11, topped out at 152 pounds.
In between he's competed in the 125- and 140-pound divisions.
No matter his weight, Russell's been successful.
He'll try to win his third regional championship Saturday at the Eastern Class A meet in Bath.
High school regionals also will be held Saturday at Howland, Fryeburg, Rockport and Waterboro.
''Whatever weight you're going to be at, you should be able to beat them through technique,'' Russell said. ''It's not all about how strong you are.''
Going into this weekend, Russell has a career record of 155 wins and 15 losses.
''A lot of kids I wrestle, I feel they are a lot stronger than me but I use my leverage,'' he said. ''I've got long legs and arms. I focus on technique and just staying in good position so they can't do anything.''
''He's hard to take off his feet,'' Guest said.
''In wrestling, you're going to win most of your matches if you stay on your feet.''
But Russell also can wrestle on the mat. He has won 107 matches by pinning opponents.
''I have a lot of pins, but always in the first period, if it's somebody I know I can handle, I get a takedown maybe and let them up and practice some new stuff, and then stick them,'' he said.
The top-seeded wrestler in his weight class, Russell will carry a record of 37-1 with 29 pins into the regionals.
In December, Jacob Berry, a two-time Class B state champion from Camden Hills, scored an 11-5 decision over Russell at the Noble Invitational in North Berwick.
Last Saturday, Russell was named the outstanding wrestler at the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference meet at Augusta after registering a 6-5 decision against Berry, and also pinning three opponents.
''I always get a little bit of butterflies before every match, even if I know the kid is not as good as me,'' Russell said. ''You've got to be confident but you can't be too cocky.
''You can never say you can't be beaten by anybody. All it takes is one little mistake and you're on your back and stuffed.''
During his high school career, Russell hasn't made many mistakes.
Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 725-8795 or at:
pbetit@pressherald.com